Back-channel negotiations

Last time, you saw that I had ripped a piece of 1×6 to fit the width of the FIFO unit.  Once I cleaned up the kerf marks with my #7 jointer plane, I used a moving fillister plane to cut a long rebate on both sides of the back.  This provides a more secure defence against racking under load.

IMG_20170629_101257_113

Then, I attached the back to the carcase.  Since the unit will hang on the wall supported by this back, I may have gone a teensy bit overboard in that.  This is glued, nailed, and screwed to the carcase.  But it was nuking it from orbit the only way to be sure.

IMG_20170629_130500_391

Once the back was on, I needed to put a front on as well.  Since this isn’t load-bearing, I just used a few nails.  I cut it short enough to clear the mushroom cans on both the top and bottom, allowing for both withdrawal and replenishment.

IMG_20170629_142830_298-1

The last thing for today was that I felt that trying to wiggle a can out of the rack might be difficult as it was.  So I used a big 2″ Forstner bit to cut recesses out of the bottom sides (later cleaned up with a rasp) to allow for even my old busted up fingers to get to them.  Small, agile fingers should have it even easier!

IMG_20170629_143332_367

Advertisements